Has your dog discovered some acorns under your oak tree? Time to rake them up. Even though they might seem harmless for your pup to play with, acorns can cause serious health issues if ingested in large quantities.
Acorns contain tannins that can be toxic to dogs when consumed in large amounts. Tannins interfere with digestion as they bind proteins together and make them difficult to absorb. This can lead to a condition known as gastroenteritis, which causes vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and dehydration.
Moreover, acorns also have a high fat content which may cause pancreatitis in dogs if eaten regularly or excessively. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas that may result in severe abdominal pain, vomiting and even shock.
And even if your dog isn't eating acorns, if he does happen to swallow one, it could result in intestinal blockages. Not fun!
If your dog downed some acorns and is showing signs of illness such as lethargy, diarrhea, or vomiting, reach out to your veterinarian immediately. If they require veterinary care related to eating any unsafe foods, dog insurance can help cover the cost of treatment.