Can dogs or cats eat grapes or raisins?

May 24, 2023
This article is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding your pet’s care, treatment, or medical conditions.

Can dogs eat grapes and raisins?

It's well-known among pet owners that dogs should not consume chocolate, but what about grapes or raisins? Despite being a harmless snack for humans, grapes and raisins are actually extremely dangerous for our canine companions. In fact, grapes, raisins, sultanas, and currants have all been linked to toxicity in dogs. Even a small amount of these food items raisins can be toxic to dogs and cause severe health issues.

The exact mechanism behind why grapes and raisins are harmful to dogs is still unknown. However, it's been observed that consuming them can lead to kidney failure in some cases. Symptoms of this include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and decreased appetite. It's important for dog owners to recognize these symptoms early on, as they may indicate the need for immediate veterinary care.

Pet owners must therefore must take precautions to ensure their furry friends don't accidentally ingest any foods that contain grapes or raisins. They can do so by keeping these items out of reach, and checking food labels carefully (keeping in mind that certain foods, including breads, may contain grapes or raisins).

Can cats eat grapes and raisins?

It's extremely important to be mindful of what we feed our cats, as certain foods can be harmful or even toxic to them. Grapes, raisins, sultanas, and currants are amongst the foods that cats should never eat under any circumstance, even in small amounts. These foods are known to cause kidney failure in dogs. And while their effects are not as widely studied in cats, these foods are believed to be dangerous for our feline friends as well.

Grapes and raisins may seem like a harmless treat for your feline friend, but they contain toxins that can cause serious harm. The exact substance responsible for the toxicity has not yet been identified, but it is believed that the skin of the grape contains certain compounds that are toxic to pets. When ingested by a cat, these substances can damage the kidneys and can ultimately lead to kidney failure.

Symptoms of raisin toxicity in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite and increased thirst or urination. If you suspect your cat has ingested even a small amount of raisins or grapes (or any other potentially toxic substance), seek medical attention immediately from a veterinarian who will perform necessary tests and treatments, depending on the severity of symptoms.

If you're uncertain whether something is safe for your pet, it's always best practice to avoid it altogether — at least until you've consulted your vet and done your research. In this case, you're likely to get the same answer from any vet you consult: Grapes, raisins, sultanas, and currants are dangerous for cats.

Information Purposes Only

The suggestions offered here are for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for pet-specific advice from your veterinarian. Never disregard your vet’s recommendations, or delay in acting on them, based on something you have read on this site. Regardless of how a food is rated here, any food that you give your pet can pose potential health risks, including allergic reactions, choking, or other health conditions such as bloat. Always monitor your pet while they’re eating, and never introduce a new food into your pet’s diet without first consulting your veterinarian. 

Pet Poison Emergency Protocol

If your pet is acting sick, call your regular veterinarian immediately. If your regular veterinarian is closed, call a nearby on-call veterinarian, animal urgent care, or veterinary emergency hospital. If your pet is not acting sick but you think they may have been exposed to a poison, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) or Pet Poison Helpline (855-764-7661).

Food Safety Statuses


Could be given almost daily without harm

Safe in moderation

Not toxic, but should not be given regularly


Toxic or simply too risky to give to your pet