Best Landlord Insurance 2022

Phoebe McCrostie
19 October 2021 - 12 min read

Taking your first steps into the buy-to-let market or shopping around for a new policy? We've ranked the 12 best landlord insurance policies to help you compare landlord insurance.

The 10 best landlord insurance policies

How we created our list of the best landlord insurance policies

Trying to find the right landlord insurance can be a challenge. Luckily, there are a few things you can look out for that are tell-tale signs of a good policy. 

We outlined a set of requirements that we felt all our insurers had to hit for their policies. We’ve only included insurers that:

  • Offered at least £2m cover for property owner’s liability
  • Included loss of rent cover as standard 
  • Buildings cover offered as standard with the option to add contents cover to your policy

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance is designed to protect landlords financially in case the worst should happen to their rental property when leasing to tenants. 

Essentially, a tenant is a group or person who has a rental agreement in place that allows them to live in the property that the landlord owns. When you let a property, you’ll have to provide your tenants with a tenancy agreement that should outline the type of insurance you have in place.

What are the different types of landlord insurance?

Similar to home insurance, there are several different types of landlord insurance. Depending on your circumstances, you can choose from:

Landlord buildings insurance

Buildings insurance covers any damage that may affect the structure of your property. Not only can it cover a number of risks, but it can also cover the cost of rebuilding or repairing your property following an event that you’re insured for. 

Typically, buildings insurance policies will offer cover against damage that includes:

  • Theft, vandalism and malicious damage
  • Fire or smoke damage
  • Oil or water leakage
  • Storm, lightning or earthquakes 
  • Burst pipes
  • Impact caused by vehicles, falling trees, aircraft, masts or animals

When you choose buildings cover, it’s important to make sure that it covers the property you’re intending to let. Individual flats may be harder to cover as sometimes damage — like burst pipes — that originates from another property, may be excluded from your cover level.

Contents insurance

Typically, contents cover can either be taken out as a separate policy or as an add-on to an existing policy. Contents cover usually includes cover for things like:

  • Furniture 
  • Kitchen appliances
  • Carpets and curtains
  • Household utensils 
  • Consumer electronics (TVs, laptops)

The level of contents cover that you’ll need will depend on whether you’re letting out a property that’s furnished or unfurnished. Unfurnished properties will typically be cheaper as there isn’t as much to insure compared to a property that is furnished.

Home emergency cover

Home emergency cover will protect your property and tenants against the loss of essential services. Usually, this policy will cover the cost of repairs and will aim to get the services back up and running again as quickly as possible. 

Home emergency cover offers protection against issues like:

  • Roofing problems
  • Infestations
  • Drains, pipes and sewer problems
  • Lost keys
  • Electricity issues
  • Plumbing and heating problems 

Home emergency cover will usually protect you for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year but it’s best to check with your insurer.

Tenants’ contents cover

Even if you’re going to opt for contents cover, this won’t actually cover the belongings that your tenants have in your property. 

If your tenants want cover for their possessions, then they’ll have to arrange this themselves. Tenants’ content cover will pay out for damage or theft of covered items if either occurs on your rented property.

Rent guarantee insurance

Even if your tenants have passed the rent insurance checks, there may come a time in the future where they might not be able to pay the rent. 

Rent guarantee insurance protects you should your tenant fall into arrears and in some cases also during any void periods where the property is empty. This can be especially helpful if you’re reliant on the rental income to pay your mortgage. 

Rent guarantee insurance can also include cover for legal expenses, which can help cover the costs of repossession and the eviction proceedings if this is necessary.

Liability insurance

Liability insurance — sometimes known as public liability cover — covers you if a tenant or visitor to your property is injured. Usually, liability insurance will have extremely high coverage limits, which can be helpful if you’re held legally responsible for an accident and need to pay out compensation.

Boiler and heating cover

Generally, cover for boilers and heating is an additional extra, and not part of a standard landlord insurance policy.

Do I need landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance isn’t a legal requirement, but many landlords find it helpful to have a policy in place as a safety net should anything go wrong with a tenancy. 

Usually, standard home insurance policies won’t cover you for any risks that are associated with renting out your property. Landlord insurance, however, is specifically tailored to cover the types of risks you’ll face when letting a property.

How much does landlord insurance cost?

As with most types of insurance, it’s hard to specify how much it’s actually going to cost because every policy is different. 

Factors that will impact how much you’ll pay for your policy include:

  • The age and history of the property
  • Location and the type of properties
  • Rebuild cost of the property
  • Level of contents you’re going to insure
  • The level of excess you choose
  • Number of tenants in the property 
  • Your claim history 

As with all insurers, your premiums will be calculated based on the likelihood of you making a claim and how much it’ll cost.

Landlord insurance reviews

Alan Boswell Group

Alan Boswell Group offers landlord building insurance that covers for flooding, fires and subsidence. It offers a range of features like:

  • £5m property owner’s liability cover.
  • Contents cover as an optional extra. 
  • Loss of rent cover included.

You’ll also have full cover for up to 90 days when the property is unoccupied during tenancies as well as employers liability cover for cleaners, gardeners and caretakers on the property. 

Home Protect

Home Protect Landlord Insurance gives you 24/7 access to their Home Emergency helpline that covers you for burst pipes, roof damage, failure of water supply and electricity and water supply. 

It also includes landlord legal expenses as standard that help to cover you during tenant disputes and loss of rent cover should something happen to your property. 

On the reviewer website Trustpilot, Home Protect has a rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars based on over 9,300 reviews with an overall rating of “Excellent” (correct as of January 2022). 

More Than Business

More Than Business Landlord Insurance includes malicious and accidental damage as standard as well as cover against major unexpected events or damages for things like:

  • Fire
  • Vandalism
  • Floods and burst pipes
  • Theft

You can make an online claim 24/7 and can cover up to 5 properties on one policy. You can also add optional extras to your policy including Landlord contents cover, loss of rent cover and home emergency cover all for an additional cost. 

On the reviewer website Trustpilot, More Than Business has a rating of 4.1 stars out of five with an overall rating of “Great” based on over 13,100 reviews. However, these ratings are based on all of More Than’s insurance options, not just its Landlord Insurance (true as of January 2022).


Aviva’s Landlord Insurance offers cover for the cost of rebuilds and repairs to your property if it’s damaged. Its policy includes as standard:

  • Unlimited contents cover — There’s no limit to the overall amount that Aviva will insure your contents for. 
  • Alternative accommodation — If the damage that has been caused to your property is covered by the insurance policy, Aviva will pay for alternative accommodation until your home is fit to live in. 
  • Finding and fixing leaks — If you find a water leak causing damage to your property, Aviva will cover up to £5,000 to uncover the source and fix it. 

Aviva also covers the cost of up to £1,000 for lock replacements, £5m liability protection cover as standard and additional cover for fixtures and fittings like carpets and kitchen surfaces. 

On Trustpilot, Aviva is rated 4.7 out of 5 stars with an overall rating of “Excellent” based on over 18,200 reviews. However, this is based on all of their insurance products, not just exclusively their landlord insurance. On Reviewcentre, Aviva Home Insurance has received a rating of 1.3 out of 5 based on over 140 reviews with 11% of users recommending this service (true as of January 2022). 

Direct Line for Business

Direct Line has been voted the best landlord insurance provider at the What Mortgage Awards from 2013 - 2021. You can add up to 15 properties on one policy — all with one renewal date. Direct Lines Standard Landlord Insurance offers:

  • Public liability cover of £2m with the option to increase. 
  • New-for-old Contents Insurance that includes replacement lock cover. 
  • Buildings insurance includes cover for boilers, structural damage and damage caused by escaped water.
  • Fixtures and fittings cover for damage to permanent internal fixtures that aren’t insured under the insurance policy that covers the building of a block of flats.
  • Flooring cover of up to £5,000 with the option to increase.

Cover for theft and malicious damage by tenants, accidental damage and loss of rent are optional extras, so adding these to your policy will increase your premium.

Direct Line for Business has a rating of 1.3 stars out of 5 on Trustpilot with an overall rating of “Bad” (correct as of January 2022). 


LV’s Landlord Insurance offers cover for accidental damage, vandalism and theft by your tenants as standard. You can also expect to get:

  • Up to £1m buildings cover that includes damage by fire, storm, floods and subsidence.
  • Replacement locks if your keys are stolen or lost.
  • If there’s damage to your rental property, LV will cover the cost of lost rent or offer alternative accommodation if it becomes uninhabitable. 
  • Up to £5m legal liability cover. 
  • Up to £5,000 for unauthorised use of metered supplies. 

LV also offers a 12-month guarantee on repairs when you use its recommended repairer service, as well as a 24-hour legal helpline. 

On the reviewer website Trustpilot, LV has been rated 4.7 out of 5 stars with an overall rating of “Excellent” based on over 48,600 reviews. It’s a similar story on Reviewcentre, with LV averaging 3.5 out of 5 stars with 67% of users recommending its service. However, all reviews are for all of the insurance products that LV sells, not just its landlord insurance (both figures are correct as of January 2022). 


Saga offers high levels of cover for the over-50s with their landlord insurance options. As standard, it includes accidental damage cover and legal expenses cover as well as:

  • Alternative accommodation cover — To rehome your tenants after a major incident such as a flood or fire. 
  • Cover for malicious damage or vandalism — If your tenant damages your property, Saga will cover the cost of repairs. 
  • Legal expenses cover — Saga offers unlimited legal advice and up to £100,000 that will cover the cost of any legal proceedings. 
  • Buildings cover — Up to £500,000 to cover against damage that’s caused by incidents like fire, storm, floods and theft. 
  • Contents cover — Up to £50,000 cover for the contents of your rental property. 

Saga also offers Home Emergency cover as an additional extra for £49.99 a year that provides unlimited call-outs each year as well as up to £2,000 per incident. It covers a range of emergencies like:

  • Pest infestations 
  • Smashed windows or broken locks that count as a security risk
  • Internal electric faults of complete failures
  • Plumbing and draining issues

Saga PLC has a rating of 4.6 stars out of 5 with an overall rating of “Excellent” based on over 27,000 reviews on the reviewer website Trustpilot. However, this is based on all of Saga’s insurance products, not just its Landlord insurance. On Reviewcentre, Saga Home Insurance hasn’t received any recent reviews (correct as of January 2022). 

AXA Business Insurance

AXA states that you can get its landlord insurance from just £130 a year and offers cover for up to 10 properties on one policy. As standard, its policy includes:

  • Property owners liability cover — Up to £10m cover that protects you against third-party claims.
  • Buildings insurance — That will cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding your property if it’s accidentally destroyed or damaged.
  • Contents cover — Up to £50,000 cover for the contents inside your property (this doesn’t include the personal possessions of your tenants). 
  • Alternative accommodation — Should your rental property become uninhabitable due to damage caused by a flood or fire, AXA will rehome your tenants. 
  • Cables and underground pipes cover — Should any damage happen to pipes or cables that provide essential utilities such as water, gas or electricity, you’ll be covered for the incurred costs.

AXA also offers cover for loss of rent as well as up to £5,000 for malicious damage caused by tenants.

On Trustpilot, AXA was rated 4.3 out of 5 stars with an overall rating of “Excellent” based on over 8,300 reviews. However, this is for all of the products that AXA sells, not just its Landlord insurance policies (correct as of January 2022).

Home & Legacy

Home & Legacy Ultra Landlord policy offers cover for buildings and contents that includes loss or damage due to events such as fire, theft, escape of water or malicious damage. It also includes £5m of property owners liability insurance as well as landlord legal expenses.

Theft and accidental damage is an optional extra.  

Home & Legacy don’t have much of an online presence, so it’s difficult to say how reliable their claims process is. 

Let Alliance

Let Alliance offers a wide range of cover options with its landlord insurance policy. As standard it includes:

  • Contents cover up to £50,000
  • Legal liability cover up to £5m
  • Up to £500,000 buildings insurance (with up to £2m on request)
  • Cover for theft of keys and replacement locks
  • Up to 90 days cover if your property is unoccupied
  • Accidental damage to the building

Fire and storm damage is an added optional extra as well as malicious damage that is caused by tenants. 

Let Alliance also offers discounts of between 5% and 10% depending on the number of properties that you have in your portfolio.

On the reviewer website Trustpilot, Let Alliance is rated 4.9 out of 5 stars with an overall rating of “Excellent” based on over 1,150 reviews (correct as of January 2022). 

Swinton Insurance

Moving from Simple Landlords Insurance to Swinton Insurance, its landlord insurance includes as standard:

  • Protection against fire, storm, flood and landslip 
  • Unoccupied properties covered for 60 days
  • Flexibility to include or exclude subsidence cover
  • 24-hour claims line, 365 days a year

They also offer additional cover for:

  • Alternative accommodation
  • Theft of keys
  • Malicious damage caused by tenants
  • Land

On Trustpilot, Swinton has been rated 4.5 stars out of 5 with an overall rating of “Excellent” based on over 16,700 reviews (correct as of January 2022). However, this is for all of the insurance products that Swinton sell. 


HomeLet’s landlord insurance states that its policies have been created to offer peace of mind for landlords. Its buildings insurance covers the rebuild or repair of your property if it was damaged. It also offers:

  • Emergency assistance insurance — Emergency cover for the sudden and unexpected failures of items in your property. However, boiler cover is included for an additional cost.
  • Loss of rent — Following an event that you’re insured for, HomeLet will cover any loss of rent as well as the cost of alternative accommodation for up to two years rent.
  • Trace and access — Should your property have an escape of water, you’ll be covered for the cost of locating the point of escape and the repairs for up to £5,000.
  • Property owner’s liability — £5m worth of cover.  

Theft and accidental damage cover is offered as an optional extra as is malicious damage caused by tenants. HomeLet also offers contents cover as a separate policy. 

HomeLet was rated 2 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot with an overall rating of “Poor” based on over 300 reviews (true as of January 2022).

Just Landlords

Just Landlords offers 40 covers as standard. With its Landlord insurance policy, you’ll be covered for things like:

  • Emergency access
  • Replacement locks
  • Falling trees, branches, lampposts and telephone poles
  • Riots, earthquakes, terrorism and storms
  • Up to £1m for loss of rent or alternative accommodation
  • Landlord contents cover for curtains, carpets and white goods

It also offers cover for fly-tipping and abandoned contents that are left on your property, unauthorised use of services as well as malicious damage by your tenants plus more. 

Just Landlords has a rating of 4.3 stars out of 5 with an overall rating of “Excellent” based on over 1,000 reviews (true as of January 2022).

Landlord & Home insurance reviews

This article was written by ManyPets. We were not paid to write it but we will receive commission if clicking on a link to one of the named insurers results in a reader taking out a policy with that insurer. We also charge for advertising space so a particular insurer may be highlighted in the article and, where insurers are listed, it can dictate where they appear in the list.