Key policy features
- Health insurance specifically aimed at Over 50s
- Four tiers of cover available
- Saga provides award-winning and comprehensive policies
- You can get a tailored quote on the Saga website.
Saga's products are designed for those aged 50 and over and have been providing quality health insurance for more than 30 years.
It is a well-established company that boasts an array of accolades and industry awards. Because of that, its products can command a premium; many customers are prepared to pay a little more for quality and service.
Learn more about its policies and get a quote on Saga's site.
Types of cover provided by Saga health insurance
Like some other Health Insurance providers, Saga offers private medical insurance. These are policies that cover the costs of the diagnosis, control and treatment of unexpected and significant medical events. These policies cover much more expensive events and so the policies are higher in price.
Saga also used to offer a ‘cash plan’. These policies were much cheaper and so were attractive to those on a budget. However, cash plans do not cover the more extensive diagnoses and treatments that the Private Medical Insurance covers. Health cash plans typically contribute a proportion of the costs incurred for these smaller expenses.It appears that Saga no longer offers a cash plan.
If you have a condition you're looking to cover it's worth reading our guide to health insurance for pre-existing medical conditions.
Overview of healthcare cover provided by Saga health insurance
Specialising in the needs of over 50s, Saga offers four comprehensive Private Medical Insurance plans. All policies are underwritten by AXA PPP.
Saga has four health plans to choose from:
- Support — Saga’s most basic level of treatment. It covers the fundamentals like treatment in a private hospital, surgical procedures, and accommodation costs, including an NHS cash benefit for up to 20 nights a year (where Saga will reimburse you a set amount of money for each night you stay in an NHS hospital).
- Saver Plus — Offers all the same features as Support with a few extra ones. This includes treatment for mental health conditions, consultations with specialists, home nursing costs (on specialist recommendation) and — crucially — it includes cancer treatment like radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
- Secure — In addition to the features you’ll get in Saver Plus, Secure grants you access to private recuperative care and ambulance transport (on specialist recommendation).
- Super — Saga’s most comprehensive level of health cover. You’ll get all the benefits included in Support, Saver Plus and Secure, with the addition of a dental injuries benefit, where you’ll be reimbursed for specified dental procedures. Learn more about the best private dental insurance providers.
Additionally, you can include optional extras on your policy. Choose from:
- Extended cancer cover — Include access to drugs that may not be available on the NHS and cover for unproven surgery and treatments that are part of an ethical trial. This add-on is available on all plans except Support.
- Health cash benefits — Provides cashback towards your everyday healthcare costs like dental and optical appointments.
- Cover for pre-existing hypertension — Many insurers exclude pre-existing hypertension as standard, but Saga will cover it for an additional cost.
- Protect your No Claims Discount — Allows you to make one claim without it reducing your No Claim Discount.
Interested? Get an instant quote for Saga’s health insurance plans online.
How much does Saga health insurance cost?
The cost of Saga Private Medical Insurance will depend on a variety of factors, including your age, general health and any existing medical conditions, plus the level of cover you choose.
We ran a quote in September 2021 for a 50-year-old male with no pre-existing conditions. Saga quoted the following prices:
- Saga HealthPlan Super (highest level of cover) — £67.39 per month
- Saga HealthPlan Secure (mid-tier cover) — £57.79 per month
- Saga HealthPlan Saver Plus (low level of cover) — £48.97 per month
Get a tailored Saga health insurance quote today.
What do Saga health insurance reviews from customers say?
On Trustpilot, the company as a whole has an average score of 4.6 out of 5 based on more than 25,000 reviews (as of September 2021). 75% of users rated their experience as “Excellent”, with customers highlighting the ease of use to get an online quote and helpful staff.
The company doesn’t fare as well on ReviewCentre.com, scoring just 1.3 out of 5. However, this is based on just 20 reviews (as of September 2021).